Responsible for preparing complete, accurate and timely cost estimates for hard bid, design build, and construction management delivery systems. Accountable for the successful completion of assigned projects and duties in conformity to the budget and profit goals of the Company. Shares in the responsibility of mentoring Estimators and Cost Engineers.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to work independently or in group setting.
- Review bid documents: drawings, specifications, owner contracts and Special Conditions for the thorough understanding of the job and potential risks and opportunities involved with the project.
- Travel as needed for project pre-bids, subcontractor scope meetings and relationship development.
- Coordinate and follow through with bid strategies developed with the bid Team in Pre-Bid Strategy Meetings.
- Prepare accurate estimates by performing complete takeoff of pertinent items as determined by the project Team, coordinate and outline scope with the self-perform department for large project take offs.
- Have project Estimate and bid day Team prepared and ready on bid day.
- Ability to negotiate favorable contracts with subcontractors and vendors while maintaining positive relationships with the marketplace.
- Schedule and coordinate all required subcontractor and vendor scope reviews, ensuring reviews are thorough and accurate.
- Write contracts and purchase orders in a timely manner as agreed upon by the project manager and the Estimator.
- Mentor and help develop Estimating staff by teaching, motivating and leading by example.
- Promote the growth and development of Subcontractor, Vendor and Owner relationships to help stimulate new work opportunities, both in local market and nationally.
- Attend pre-bid meetings to represent DeMaria Building Company and familiarize one with the site conditions and determine project scope and required contents of estimate.
- Coordinate/ maintain solicitation of DBC approved subcontractors/vendors for each assigned project bidding.
- Job requires excellent written and verbal communication skills to coordinate and manage the distribution of project information and strategies to subcontractors and vendors in the marketplace.
- Prepare Estimates following DeMaria Estimating processes to ensure consistent and accurate estimates are produced with all proper processes and documentation.
- Coordinate and or Prepare bid schedules based on the scope of work and contract documents.
- Ability to perform thorough reviews of subcontract and vendor proposals for the scope of work and competitiveness during the bid process.
- Develop and maintain good client relationships with Owners, Engineers, and Architects for expanded or new market opportunities.
- Develop and Maintain positive and trustworthy relationships with subcontractors and vendors.
- Attend and Participate in all project meetings and company training
QUALIFICATIONS (Skills, Knowledge, Experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in a construction related field with a minimum of 7+ years construction estimating experience
- Proven ability to successfully Estimate projects in excess of $ 15 Million in scope.
- Proven ability to increase project profitability on a consistent basis while maintaining positive relationships with subcontracting market.
- Strong desire and tenacity to bid and win work with positive profits.
- Leads by example and sets the standard of performance for others to follow.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude consistent with company values and culture.
- Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the construction field.
- Strong and effective communicator, both verbally and written, who can interface cooperatively with various departments of the company, as well as clients and subcontractors
- Ability on large bids to make accurate take–offs and to estimate the cost of materials, labor, equipment and subcontractor work and determine that all areas have been accounted for prior to submitting the estimate for review.
- Possess good organizational, analytical and problem-solving ability. Detail oriented with the ability to multi-task
- Maintain and develop strong relationships with internal and external customers
- Keen financial aptitude and above average math skills
- Proficient in use, or quickly capable of learning Timberline and Microsoft Project software
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to pursue and develop potential growth and new business opportunities
- Represent the company with high moral and ethical conduct.
- Sitting, standing, walking for extended period of time
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and crouch
- Use hands and fingers to feel and handle items
- Reach with arms and hands
- Talk, hear and see
- Ability to drive a vehicle and maintain a valid drivers license
- Lifting up to 50 pounds (of bid documents, i.e.: blueprints, specifications)
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. The job description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills and individual in this position might be asked to perform either now or in the future.
Location: Jacksonville, Fayetteville, Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Wilmington, NC